Pages Navigation Menu

"No matter where you go, there you are."

Advert

UPDATED: The Star Wars Story movies have been put on hold to focus on Episode 9 and the next trilogy

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

It looks like the disappointing (for a Star Wars film) box office – $343,297,558 worldwide at the time of writing – for Solo: A Star Wars Story has made Disney and Lucasfilm rethink future Star Wars films.

Collider had the news that Lucasfilm has decided to put plans for more A Star Wars Story spinoff movies on hold, instead opting to focus their attention on Star Wars: Episode IX and what the next trilogy of Star Wars films will be after that film.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi movie was in active development, but those who were working on the film are no longer involved. It was recently reported that James Mangold (Logan) was in early talks to write and direct the Boba Fett film, but that was before Solo’s release.

It is a shame about the Kenobi movie as I did want to see Ewan McGregor reprise the role., but is it really that much of a surprise?

To be fair I enjoyed Solo a lot more than The Last Jedi, as it did feel more like Star Wars to me. I also thought Rogue One was good, but all the recent Star Wars films do seem to split the audience.

Solo did have a lot to fight through. Many people did not like Rian Johnson’s take with The Last Jedi so had said they’d be avoiding the latest film. For whatever reason, they also decided to release Solo in May instead of December as had seemed to be the norm for Star Wars movies. Then there was the firing of the original directors and Ron Howard coming onboard for a lot of reshoots that saw the budget increase. The film itself, while enjoyable, did play things very safe and felt very episodic.

LucasFilm is still focusing on future trilogies after the J.J Abrams directed Episode 9. The Last Jedi writer/director Rian Johnson has one in development, although that is rumoured to be set in a different galaxy, different aliens, and many other different things which makes me wonder why have it as a Star Wars film if it is going to be so far removed from what has gone before? Those rumours could be wrong, but as I said, I was really disappointed with The Last Jedi so I am not really that excited for what Johnson does next. However, Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are also working on a future Star Wars trilogy of films. Again, little is known about that, but I do believe Benioff and Weiss should be able to bring us something epic judging from their previous work.

We shall have to wait and see.

How do you feel about the Star Wars spinoff movies being put on hold? Why do you think Solo wasn’t a success? What trilogy of films are you most looking forward to or have you just had enough of Star Wars?

UPDATE: Lucasfilm sources on Thursday characterized as “inaccurate” a report that future “Star Wars” movies falling outside of the regular trilogy storyline (Episodes I to IX) have been put on hold in the wake of the box office under-performance of “Solo: A Star Wars Story.”

Instead, Lucasfilm told ABC News there are still “multiple” Star Wars films currently in development that have not been officially announced. Those projects are moving forward separate from an already-announced “Star Wars” trilogy being overseen by “The Last Jedi” director Rian Johnson and another series of movies from “Game of Thrones” producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.


Thanks to Joseph Label for the Spaceballs 2 poll response!

Next PostPrevious Post



Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

One Comment

  1. I’d rather they had the balls and re-did the last Jedi! Just forget that movie existed and start the 2nd one again!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Amazon Prime Free Trial